Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Prodigal Blogger Returns

I had diligently worked at this blog when I first began. Blogger was my very first blog host. Then I started shopping around, comparing. And I decided to try blogging at other places.

I enjoy some aspects of Live Journal. For instance, at LJ you can easily post large photos. If you want delicate, detailed features to show up, you might prefer LJ. I think that many people who consider themselves serious writers prefer LJ because there's no marketing of any kind, and you cannot make money there by placing ads on the page. LJ is a great place to network, too, because you can easily find like-minded bloggers and develop friendships.

I don't like what is referred to as the LJ Cut. It's a cut you must make so that a long blog won't appear on the page. A reader must click on the LJ Cut link to read everything underneath. This system is handy for readers, but a blogger is not allowed to post several photographs that show above the LJ cut without being seriously booed and reprimanded. Other than selecting a pre-made format at LJ, there is no individuality of pages there. No standing graphics, links, or widgets are allowed. In my opinion, LJ is primarily for writing only.

So I hung out at Typepad for awhile, where the formatting allows for larger photos. I particularly like to see large photos of scrapbook layouts to view all the details. I also paid the monthly fee so that I could be a multi-blogger with my blogs connected. There is really nothing wrong with Typepad. In fact, the support there is excellent. You can actually email someone for help and get a response right away without having to try ten things first.

But I decided it was foolish to pay a fee just to link my blogs together. The photo issue has become less important to me, and Blogger is easier to use.

To anyone who had been following this blog--and I know I had a few followers--I thought I should explain the gap in blogging dates, since hardly posted anything here in 2009. I am grateful for anyone who reads my blog. Thank you.

The prodigal blogger returns.

No comments: