Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Why I Love Paula Deen

There was a time when I thought cooking was a job for the unliberated woman. As I've said before, I once let my views on feminism stifle my freedom. At this great time in my life I love to cook, and I'm crazy about the Food Network.

I had thought that the Food Network only chose trained chefs to host their shows. I enjoy fancy cooking, but thanks to Paula Deen, I see that unpretentious foods that are a part of American culture, especially Southern culture, can be deeply satisfying to prepare and to eat. Paula calls dishes like fried chicken and potato salad "comfort foods."

I just finished reading Paula Deen: It Ain't All About the Cookin'. What an inspiring story. What an inspiring woman. Paula married before she was twenty. Shortly afterwards, each of her parents died of illness. What surprises me the most about Paula is that she suffered from agoraphobia and panic attacks. For many years, she was housebound.

During this time, her husband rarely maintained a long-term job. Her family--including her two sons--struggled to keep a roof over their heads. Eventually, with the help of her sons, Paula sold home-cooked lunches to nearby businesses.

Paula Deen comes across as down to earth, funny, bawdy, sensible, and very brave. After spending hours in the kitchen with her mother, aunt and grandmothers, Paula learned to cherish her family recipes and traditions. She eventually made a career for herself--and her sons--working long hours in her Savannah, Georgia restaurant.



I can't help but feel I know Paula after reading this page-turner. I read all 304 pages in a couple of days. Paula left me feeling that I can age gracefully without pretense. She found true love and got married the second time in her fifties. After years of living in near poverty, she now has a successful restaurant, two popular shows on the Food Network (Paula's Home Cooking and Paula's Party), and she has sold thousands of cookbooks.

Several great recipes are included in this memoir, such as pan-fried corn and split-pea soup. I am inspired to cook, to try, and to maybe even love again.

Here's why I love Paula Deen: She is a nurturing woman who considers food a sensual experience. As we baby boomers age, we need to redefine how we view ourselves as sexual/sensual beings. I have come to realize that cooking is not only an art, but it is a gift to give and receive. Cooking can be an intimate experience shared between two people.

Cooking is also an activity to do with the grandbabies. Beautiful aromas wafting from the kitchen create memories for the little ones.

Paula Deen is not your typical television host. To a Californian (me), she has a strong Southern accent. She says "you all" or "y'all" a lot. She is a robust, white haired woman who finds much to laugh about. She is a late bloomer who pulled herself up again and again, and she reaps the rewards of her efforts.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always found it interesting how she went from agoraphobic to what she is today. I went to her restaurant in Savannah. There was a huge line to get in. It was good Southern cooking.

marsha said...

Hi Rhea,

How lucky you are to have eaten at Paula's restaurant. I understand that it's very hard to get in.

I've also dealt with agoraphobia. Mine was caused by a bad reaction to medication, but I think maybe underlying issues of mine perhaps made me more vulnerable.

I can relate the pain she suffered over this because a person doesn't just snap out of it. From what she says, I think she was traumatized from losing each of her parents within a year. Their deaths took away her security. She relied on her sons a great deal, and she still does. But she has reciprocated by helping them in many ways.

Thanks for your comments.

Anonymous said...

Marsha I thoroughly reading this. I too am a big fan of Paula Deen. It is incredible that she has been able to overcome all the obstacles she has faced and that she is where she is today.

Linda_113
from MySpace

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.