Friday, July 13, 2007

Squamous Part Trois

In previous blogs I described my challenge of having a squamous cell carcinoma, a type of skin cancer. I also described my experience, having Mohs Surgery, the most effective procedure (statistically) to remove all cancer cells. My procedure was on June 19, 2007. I will post photos of my healing scar at about three months post-surgery.

Yesterday I got my bill from Dr. Ting, my dermatologist and surgeon. Holy guacamole! Who would think it so costly to have a few cells removed from a cheek? I have a large deductible on my medical insurance. As cancers go, my experience hasn't been bad, but. . . .

Last night Dr. Ting phoned me. When I noticed his number on my caller I.D., as the phone rang. . . .well, I'm familiar with the drill by now. I have another squamous cell carcinoma on my opposite cheek this time, underneath my eye.

My original purpose for seeing Dr. Ting was to have unsightly--albeit small--precancerous bumps removed. My desire was to beautify myself.

So far, every time I leave Dr. Ting's office, I look beat up and patched up. I've been waiting for my last procedure to heal, along with the tiny wounds I have from removed skin tags, warts and moles, that Dr. Ting likes to call "barnacles of wisdom." And now I need another cut that requires a surgical flap to cover the small crater that is created by the excision of the cancer cells.

I feel a bit foolish. There's a good chance that the application of nitrogen--which is far less invasive and far less expensive--could freeze the cancer cells off my face completely. My face would look a whole lot better, and my finances wouldn't take such a hit.

What if doing nothing is all I need to do? Would these cancers really spread? I've opened Pandora's box and can't seem to close it.

Dr. Ting says that if it were his daughter or sister with skin cancer, he would recommend Mohs Surgery. I believe him but can't help notice that with nine Mohs Surgeries, he's making over $20K in one day, and I feel stuck without a choice.

To be fair to Dr. Ting, I'm leery of doctors in general. I wouldn't have him as my doctor if he hadn't demonstrated skill, patience and kindness for me as his patient. But what if we discover a third cancer? We haven't even begun to work on my neck and back. Dr. Ting tells me that Mohs Surgery would not be necessary on areas other than my face. He could simply make a cut.

He has suggested a chemical peel to me many times as a preventative measure. The cost: $500. Not a moneymaker for him. I am researching the side effects of the chemical peel, and when my face has healed, I will probably take that step. At that time I will describe the procedure and post before and after photos.

To be continued. . . .

No comments: