Wednesday, July 4, 2007

The Word on Sunscreen

My goal for this blog entry was to give basic advice on using sunscreen:

1. How does sunscreen work?
2. What ingredients do I look for?
3. What are some recommended brands of sunscreen?

There are some differences of opinion on this topic, so I’ll give very basic information.

Sunscreen protects the skin from ultraviolet light, which can cause sunburn. Ultraviolet (UV) light can produce long-term damage, such as premature skin aging and skin cancer.

The ingredients to look for in sunscreens are titanium oxide or zinc oxide, which reflect the UV light. Avobenzone and oxybenzone (sometimes called “helioplex”) absorb the UV light.

The American Academy of Dermatology recommends using a sunscreen with a minimum SPF (Sun Protection Factor) of 15. After finding cancer cells and precancerous cells on my face---see The Word is Squamous and Squamous Part Deux---my dermatologist wants me to wear SPF50. SPF indicates the time a person can be exposed to sunlight before getting sunburn with a sunscreen applied relative to the time they can be exposed without sunscreen. Say what?

For instance, someone who would burn after 12 minutes in the sun would expect to burn after 2 hours (120 minutes) if protected by a sunscreen with an SPF of 10. However, the effectiveness of sunscreen depends upon how often you apply it, what type of activity you’re engaged in, and what type of skin you have.

If that doesn’t confuse you, here’s another school of thought. Research has shown (one bit of research) that a population known to have worn sunscreen actually had more incidents of skin cancer than the average population. It is suggested that some of the ingredients in sunscreen can cause cancer.

Others believe that while sunscreen blocks UV rays, it also prevents the skin from absorbing vitamin D—which is vital in the body’s utilization of calcium.

The pro-sunscreen group, which includes dermatologists and the Skin Cancer Foundation, suggests that everyone wear sunscreen beginning at the age of six months. Use of sunscreen is recommended for all races, including African-Americans. Use of sunscreen is also recommended on overcast and cloudy days.

I wonder why so many people get skin cancer nowadays. Is it because we live longer? I also wonder if thousands of people have skin cancer and live their lives without knowing it. Maybe the cancer only spreads once it’s cut or aggravated in some way. Obviously, some skin cancers spread vigorously, dangerously and fatally. But I wonder about the tiny ones, like the squamous cell carcinoma that I had removed. What would have happened if I’d done nothing? It was teensy, but I had it removed anyway. I still wonder....

I played in the sun as a kid. I got a pretty good suntan maybe two or three summers of my young adult life, when I still had time to lie in the sun. One summer, while getting ready for my 20th high school reunion, I had at least 10 visits to a tanning bed. I think that using the tanning bed caused my skin cancer.

Http://www.skincancer.org says that all sunscreens should have the Skin Cancer Foundation Seal of Approval. Here’s a list of effective sunscreens, approved by the Skin Cancer Foundation.

I tend to be sensitive to cremes. I had to remove the first sunscreen that I tried (Coppertone Water Babies), because the scent bothered me. I now see that this brand contains none of the required ingredients that block UV rays. Yet, the front of the bottle says, "No. 1 Pediatrician Recommend Brand." I now use unscented Neutrogena Healthy Defense Daily Mosturizer SPF 45 with helioplex. My dermatologist says this is a good one. Yet, today I read the active ingredients and there is no titanium oxide or zinc oxide.

The Neutrogena brand has no seal from the Skin Cancer Foundation, but it has a seal from the American Cancer Society, and it says, "The American Cancer Society (ASC) and Neutrogena, working together to help prvent skin cancer, support the use of sunscreen. The ACS does not endorse any specific product. Neutrogena pays a royalty to the ACS for the use of its logo."

Maybe this is Neutrogena's explanation for not using titanian oxide or zinc oxide, as the Skin Cancer Foundation is a separate entity from The American Cancer Society. Hmmmm. Maybe I'd better find yet another sunscreen that is unscented, with all of the recommended ingredients.

This is what I choose to do with this information: I keep a hat and some sunscreen in my car at all times. I will avoid getting a sunburn at all costs. I’d rather protect my face with a hat, but I will use the sunscreen in moderation. If I go for a walk, I’ll probably just wear a hat. If I’m spending time at the beach or on the golf course, I’ll put sunscreen all over, and mine will be SPF45 or 50.

No comments: