Friday, December 5, 2008

The Sex Change Didn't Take

What is fascinating about the woman on the Barbara Walters special who gave birth to a baby after she became a man? Oh, wait a minute. She had her exterior sex organs surgically altered. But for some reason, she kept her uterus, tubes and ovaries.

Why do we refer to a transsexual man as a "man" if he still has a uterus? I find the whole topic on "sex change" very confusing because the whole world is going mad in order to accommodate a few. We call this acceptance. I call this craziness.

Back to Barbara Walters and her selection of the 10 most fascinating people of 2008. Supposedly, a man gave birth to a baby, not just once, but he/she is pregnant again. Barbara is fascinated that a man can have a baby. One need not be a rocket scientist to see that the doctors who did the sex reassignment surgery did not reassign everything. They left the female reproductive organs.
Barack Obama was named the most Fascinating Person of 2008 by Barbara and ABC television. Others on the top 10 list included Will Smith, Tom Cruise, Mylie Cyrus, Tina Fey, Sarah Palin, and others who made a significant contribution to our society and culture.

What did this "man" accomplish who claims to have gotten pregnant twice as a man? He got the media in our country to act stupid. He's making a fool out of anyone who believes he's a man.

Does this "male" birth-giver have parents? Siblings? Nieces? Nephews?

Whenever I see a television show that idealizes transsexuals, I wonder how these transitions affect family members, because....

My brother had a sex change many years ago, and I will never see him as a woman.

To be clear, the infamous man who gave birth, was a woman who is now a man.

My brother was a man who is now a woman. Is this perfectly clear?

It is a perfect mess.

This is in reference to the man-to-woman surgery.

1. A woman has monthly periods (which means that Barbara's fascinating man also has periods when he isn't busy claiming he's a man).

2. A woman was once a little girl child. Is my family supposed to hide all childhood photos with the little boy who was once my brother?

3. A woman isn't somebody who has the equipment to impregnate a wife--like my brother did.

In other words: A woman doesn't "father" children. A man "fathers" children.

4. A real woman was never my son's uncle. Was I supposed to tell my little boy--at the time--that his uncle was now his aunt? I refused to do this at first. I was the last family holdout.

I attempt to describe just some of the insanity surrounding a "sex change" or "sex reassignment." We are using words in our language that are inaccurate. In fact, this is my objection to gay people marrying each other. Marriage by definition is between a man and a woman. Marriage involves a bride and a groom, not two brides or two grooms. These are two different topics. I want gay couples to have every right that they want, but their union can not be one with the word "marriage," unless they marry somebody of the opposite sex.

I got off the subject for a minute. I simply want us to be truthful in what we're doing and what we're observing and talking about. If giving individuals rights means that we have to lie to ourselves about what is going on around us, we are going to implode. I am going to implode anyway.

My brother refers to the era before the sex "change," as "her past." Is it a dirty little secret that he was a boy child? If that's true, then what were all of us who stood next to him in pictures? Do we try to forget our childhood with him? Do we imagine that we had another sister?

I once had two sisters and two brothers. Now do I have only one brother and three sisters? That's not fair to me. I enjoyed having two brothers. If I decide to have my sisters as bridesmaids, should I feel compelled to find a third bridesmaid dress in a size 20+ and make a mockery of a whole event?

When my brother decided to have a sex change, he was a married man and father of three children. His marriage may have already been in trouble. But somewhere in his mind, he thought he could make this huge step, and everybody around him would accept his actions. He thought that his wife and children would embrace what he did. I think the psychiatric profession steered him in the wrong direction by encouraging him to play out a fanstasy.

My brother traded his whole life for a sex reassignment in every way. He became a "woman" with chronic illness who cannot hold a job. Does it make any sense for a man's body to stay healthy when it is plied with estrogen? As a real woman, I've suffered from breast lumps, ovarian cysts and horrific migraines due to an overabundance of estrogen. How can reasonable medical professionals think they "do no harm" by giving transsexual women estrogen?

I cringe whenever I see transexual women on television who are big and burly and think they look feminine in a dress. Does anyone tell them the truth? Do we all have to pretend?

Back to Barbara Walters who features a transsexual man on her show. A woman who supposedly became a man who had a baby. Come on, Barbara. Come on, ABC. Does this make any sense? Why on earth is this individual a fascinating person of 2008?

This "fascinating" person is a woman who had a sex change that didn't take. It just didn't take.

No comments: