Friday, July 18, 2008

Sarah Jessica's Mole

A feature on the removal SJP's mole on E! News prompted me to verify the story on the world wide web, and what I have read boggles my mind. "Sarah Jessica had her beauty mark removed." "Sarah Jessica had her trademark mole removed."

Good grief! When did a cancer growth become a thing of beauty? Who wants a big old wart for a trademark?



I once had a mole sort of like Cindy Crawford's, and I had it removed when I was in my twenties because I thought it was hideous. Sarah Jessica's looked even worse, like one big zit.

Sarah Jessica has taken a stand against cosmetic surgery for herself. Maybe she considered the removal of a growth as some kind of self-betrayal.

Unfortunately, as we age, moles get larger, along with our noses--and ears, I think. Our eyes and our lips seem to shrink, and everything, large or small, goes south. Here's a photo of SJP sans mole; hopefully this photo represents more than a photo edit. There has been no official word from SJP's peeps.



It has never been the aim of this blog to be critical of women in general, especially somebody who seems nice. But I've been a bit bothered by the over-exposure of Sarah Jessica and all her co-stars of Sex and the City. Along with the buzz of the movie came magazine covers, TV ads and talk shows, all carefully planned and coordinated to push the movie.

I also read that Sarah Jessica's mole, that looked large on television, became a giant thing on the big screen. Whatever happened, I chuckled when I heard she finally had it removed. Maybe I'll wait until Sex and the City comes out on video so the mole doesn't scare me.

Why does a half-way intelligent blogger write about a mole? Please consider that I've written extensively on this blog about the removal of several face cancers (mine). But I don't really need to justify my possible pettiness. That mole bugged me; I wondered why someone with success and money would choose to keep it.

I wonder if SJP had the mole biopsied.

No comments: